- Oct 5 : The exercise session of Oct 7, 2pm will be given in Building C on Solbosch campus of ULB, level 4, entrance through C4.229. Please bring your own laptop if possible. This is the first session of the paraseismic project, see the necessary files and documents at the bottom of the page.
- Oct 5 : The class Oct 7 will be in R42.5.110 and streamed in direct via TEAMS, recorded through TEAMS and podcasting system. Please watch the videos about Finite element models and Continuous Systems before coming to the class.
- Sept 28 : the videos to watch for the next lecture on Oct 7 are Finite Element Models and Continuous systems.
- Sept 24 : Correction of exercise session 2 is now available.
- Spet 22 : The course of Sept 23 follows the flipped class principle, please watch the videos before joining the class. You can also join the class in real-time with the TEAMS group link
- Spet 22: Anonymous access seems to be working now on the podcast, but the sound level recorded for the first lecture is too low. Not sure this can be fixed, please watch the first course at the following link : https://youtu.be/n_foDY7wau8
- Read the full instructions for the course and the exercise sessions
- Send your email address to the Professor
- If it is possible to teach in presence in an auditorium, the sessions will be recorded via the podcasting system. The videos can be found here : Link to podcast. Note however that the videos are pre-recorded and available below for each chapter.
- The exercise sessions will be on TEAMS at the following link
Copy of the slides and videos :
Lectures taught by A. Deraemaeker
0. Practical details pdf
1. Introduction pdf
2. SDOF systems pdf
3. MDOF systems pdf
5. Continuous systems pdf
6. Dynamic excitation pdf
6.1 Response Spectra pdf
7. Reduction to SDOF systems pdf
8. Dynamic response pdf
9. Design and remedial measures
Design modifications pdf
Tuned vibration absorbers pdf
Vibration isolation pdf
TEAMS recordings :
Sept 16 : lecture / exercise session
Sept 23 : lecture / exercise session
Oct 7 : lecture / exercise session
Oct 14 : lecture / exercise session
Oct 21 : lecture / exercise session
Oct 28 : lecture / exercise session
Exercises by A. Deraemaeker
Exercise sessions will be performed remotely via TEAMS. We will be using the open software Octave (https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/), which can be downloaded here (free) : https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html
For what we will be doing, the language is the same as MATLAB, so you are free to use either of the two softwares.
For the students who have never used Matlab/Octave, we advise to do the introduction session below, which is written for Matlab but fully compatible with Octave.
0. Introduction to Matlab/Octave pdf / Correction pdf
1. SDOF systems pdf / Correction m-file
2. MDOF systems pdf / Correction m-file
3. Response spectra pdf / earthquakes input file (.mat) / Correction m-file
4. Paraseismic project – Session 1 pdf / PPT presentation (pdf) Eurocode 8 pdf / building K and M matrices (.mat)
These lecture notes are a complement to the slides and videos, in order to provide further understanding, they are not however complete, and only address some of the issues discussed in the course.